Friday, May 11, 2012

Potty Training

I know I have talked a little about potty training Noah but I need to document this so we have it.  Its been 3 weeks since we started this journey and I think it has finally gotten through to him and we rarely have accidents now.  The first week I kept him in pull ups most of the time, I wasn't in the mood to deal with a lot of laundry so using the pull ups kept my laundry to a minimum.  We had a really rough first week, lots of accidents and no going poop for days then he would poop his pants, I know it can be scary and I was trying my hardest to be patient, but man it was hard.  I spent days asking him about every twenty mins if he needed to go potty, and he usually said no.  But pretty soon he started telling me "Mommy my pee is coming" so we would race to the frog potty.  I have to talk about the two potty's, in anticipation for this we bought Noah his own Thomas the train potty figuring this would be a fun incentive for him, seeings how he loves Thomas, well after using it the first day we tried this he hated sitting on it and didn't want to use it, so out came Ashton's frog potty.  This seemed to be much more comfortable for him to sit on and this is what he wants to use.  Oh well, at least the Thomas potty also doubles as a stool.

By the second week I only had like two pull ups left (they were leftover from when Ashton potty trained) so I figured now was the time to just do the underwear all day. He had been waking up dry for months in diapers so I figured if I was getting rid of the pull ups I was just going to do it all. So we quite using them at night too. He had done great at night no accidents at all till Sunday night he peed the bed and came and woke me up cause he was wet so i got things all cleaned up and out him back to bed. On a different side note the $80 we spent on the water proof mattress cover totally paid for itself, the mattress wasn't even damp!

When he finally went poop in the potty I was hoping he had finally got it but no, the pattern continued, holding it for a day then going in his pants.  He would say "mommy my poop is coming" and we would run to the potty and then he would sit there for a while, nothing would happen.  this would sometimes happen two, three, or four times all right in a row before he would finally go.  But he's finally got it, most of the time he still announces his pee or poop is coming and I have to follow him to the  bathroom, but we aren't having accidents much anymore.  I have to say I am so so happy I am no longer changing diapers.

I took these pictures last week during one of his times he thought his poop was coming, I peeked at him and this is what I found.  It totally makes me laugh.